The mission of community at Watermark is to shepherd our body by “connecting people in authentic relationships that lead to spiritual transformation“. Have you ever wondered what that means?
How do you develop authentic relationships?
- Encouragement- Reminding each other of who you are in Christ, who God is and what His promises are for you.
- Hebrews 3:13 “But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today”, that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.”
- Acceptance- Come as you are, but don’t stay there.
- Romans 15:7 “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.”
- Romans 5:8 “But God demonstrated His own love for us in this – while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
- Accountability- Living life in the light, sharing the struggles and the victories together in order to grow in dependence and trust in the Lord and experience freedom from sin.
- Proverbs 18:1 “Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgement.”
- Proverbs 28:13 “He who hides his sin will not prosper, but the who confesses and forsakes his sin will find mercy.”
- Care- Recognizing the needs of each other, whether physical, spiritual, or emotional, and striving to help meet those needs.
- 1 Corinthians 12:25 ” that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.”
Groups that practice these four principles on a regular basis, grow closer together, handle conflict with more grace, and shepherd and sharpen each other to look more like Christ.
Four “B’s” of Spiritual Transformation:
- Believe in Christ
- Have you committed your life to Christ and accepted His salvation that was purchased for you on the cross?
- John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 17:3 “And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ who you have sent.”
- Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
- Belong to His Body
- Are you committed to community? Do you dedicate time weekly to corporate worship (i.e. Sunday services)?
- Hebrews 10:24-25 “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
- Be Trained in Truth
- Are you growing in your knowledge and understanding of the Word? Which of the spiritual disciplines do you need to grow in the most (prayer, daily time in the Word, scripture memory, confession, repentance, fellowship, service, evangelism, Sabbath/rest)?
- 1 Timothy 4:7-8 “Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.”
- Be Strong in Worship and Ministry
- Are you serving anywhere? Are you connected with the body of Christ, giving back, instead of strictly consuming?
- Colossians 1:28-29 “Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.”
Spend some time with your community group thinking through each of these principles and answering the following questions.
- Does your community group practice Encouragement, Acceptance, Accountability, and Care together?
- Which area needs the most growth for you personally, and then as a group?
- Are you committed to the 4B’s of Watermark to grow in your walk with the Lord?