The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our January 13, 2019 message, Why Not Us? A Confidence That the Lord Wanted to Glorify His Name. For more from this series, check out How He Built This.
Nearly 20 years ago, those who started Watermark often prayed, “God, You are going to do something today to make Your name more famous…if You’re willing, Lord, why not with us?” As we continue to pray that same prayer today, Todd walks us through how we—God’s church—are the visible image of the invisible Jesus, and what is normal in the life of a believer in Jesus Christ.
- The church is the visible image of the invisible Jesus.
- “Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop, within a yard of hell.” -C.T. Studd
- “Give me one hundred men who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not whether they be clergyman or laymen, they alone will shake the gates of Hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven upon the earth.” -John Wesley
- You are either a mission field or a missionary. Which are you?
- We don’t want you to come listen to or learn from us...we want you to come live with us!
- Our job is for our hearts to be completely His.
- God has built this on people who simply believe Him.
- If you are not a part of the “greater works than these” than you are NOT believing, abiding, keeping His commandments, and yielding to the Spirit in a way that is NORMAL for believers in Jesus. Full devotion, full deployment, powerful ministry, and purposeful mission is NORMAL for believers.
- It is God’s job to exalt you and your job to humble yourself. If you try and do God’s job He will do yours.
What it means to have a heart that is fully God’s:
- Seek Him - Matthew 6:33
- Seek His Word - Isaiah 66:2b
- Seek His people - Galatians 6:10; Hebrews 10:24–25
- Seek the lost - 2 Timothy 4:5
- Serve others - Mark 10:45
- Stay Humble - 1 Peter 5:6
Questions for Reflection, Discussion, and Application
- In the last seven days, how have you been a missionary for Jesus Christ? In the next seven days, who can you intentionally engage for the purpose of sharing the gospel?
- Which of the six things to have a heart that is fully God’s—seek Him, seek His Word, seek His people, seek the lost, serve others, stay humble—most marks for your life right? Least marks your life right now? For the one that least marks your life right now, pick one way you can grow in that area.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Suggested Scripture study: Acts 2:42-47; 2 Chronicles 16:9; John 14:1-21; John 1:12; John 3:16,18,36; John 5:24; John 6:35,47; John 7:38; John 11:25; John 12:46; 1 Corinthians 12:7-10,29-30; Colossians 1:24-29; 2 Corinthians 10:3-5; Ephesians 2:8-10; 1 Peter 3:15-16; John 13:34-35; John 15:7; 1 John 5:14; Mark 11:24
- Watermark in El Salvador
- Sermon Series: How He Built This