We believe that life-change and spiritual transformation happen best within the context of community. That means we long to see every person intentionally engaging in authentic relationships where they can be known, loved, and encouraged in their spiritual journey towards Christ.
So, here is the looming question that naturally forms after you join your Community Group: How do we know if we are a heathy Community Group? What is our target for success?
As you read the 6 Core Values below, let us encourage you to first begin by using the pronoun "me" instead of “we”. In other words, in the spirit of Matthew 7:3, ask yourself if you are the kind of Community Group member who is modeling these healthy attributes before you look at your Group members (Matthew 7:3 “Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?”). And after you have personally aspired towards living out these values in your own walk with Christ, our hope is that all the members of your group would encourage one another to do the same.
Here are the 6 Core Values of Community:
1. Devote ourselves daily to a personal relationship with Jesus. (Ask: Am I devoting myself daily to a personal relationship with Jesus and a Spirit-led life?)
John 15:5 - "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.”
2. Pursue deep relationships with one another, based on love and acceptance. (Ask: Am I intentionally pursuing members in my Community Group with a devoted, brotherly, and honorable love?)
Romans 12:10 - "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.”
3. Offer and receive biblical counsel in all areas of life. (Ask: Am I offering and receiving counsel informed by the Scriptures, or am I just leaning on opinions and popular culture?)
2 Timothy 3:16,17 – “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
4.Live authentically, sharing our struggles. (Ask: Am I being authentic with my group members and allowing them to not only celebrate my joys, but also pray for me in my struggles?)
James 5:16 - "Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.”
5. Encourage & Admonish one another faithfully towards maturity. (Ask: Am I being faithful to encourage and admonish my group members towards maturity in Christ?)
Colossians 3:16 - "Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
6. Engage intentionally with our communities and the world to make disciples. (Ask: Am I engaging intentionally in my neighborhood, office, and around the world in sharing the hope of Christ within me?)
Matthew 28:19–20 - "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
We’d encourage your group to commit these Core Values to memory. You can use these two-word summaries as a guide:
- Devote Daily (John 15:5)
- Pursue Relationally (Romans 12:10)
- Counsel Biblically (2 Timothy 3:16, 17)
- Live Authentically (James 5:16)
- Admonish Faithfully (Colossians 3:16)
- Engage Missionally (Matthew 28:19-20)
Please let us know how we can help you or your Groups become more effective in living out these 6 Core Values within your community or in any other way. For deeper study, you can find our “6 Core Values of Biblical Community” community group study here.
- The Community Team