The following blog post contains notes and application questions from the message "What Are You Wearing: Pride or Humility?" Watch the full message here.
This weekend, JP teaches us how to dress as Christians, but not in the clothes you might be thinking of. God cares about what we wear, so much so that He directly told us to “…clothe yourselves with humility…” (1 Peter 5:5-11). Conversely, when we wear pride, we are opposing ourselves to the Creator of the heavens and the earth. Wearing pride leads to anxiety, sin, and even death. In contrast, the benefits of wearing humility are overwhelming. What are you wearing: pride or humility?
Wearing pride leads to anxiety
- It’s hard to fight anxiety, but you can fight pride. If you rid yourself of pride, you will rid yourself of anxiety
Wearing pride leads to sin
- Satan works a lot like Netflix…he learns what (sin) you like and puts more of it in front of you
- When you feed something, it grows. When you starve something, it dies
- As God gets bigger in your life your struggles will get smaller (John 3:30)
- Your struggles are not unique (1 Corinthians 10:13)
Wearing humility is always important
- Humility looks good on everyone
- Humility isn’t just attractive, it’s powerful. We receive God’s favor, are protected by the hand of God, can trust His timing, are not anxious, know the love of God, can resist the devil, have a right view of sin, have eternal glory, have restored resolve, know where the power lies (1 Peter 5:5-11).
- Everywhere you go has a dress code. Humility is the dress code of God’s Kingdom.
Questions for Reflection and Discussion
- What can you do in the next week to actively “take off” pride?
- What sin are you prone to feed rather than starve?
- How are you doing at feeding your appetite for God (abiding with Christ, reading your Bible, praying, etc.)?
- Who is someone you know that wears humility well? How—what tangible examples—do they wear it well? Pick one way you can “put on” humility this week.
- Scripture study: 1 Peter 5:5-11; 1 Corinthians 10:13 ; John 3:30; Philippians 2:8-11
- Real Truth. Real Quick.: Is It Okay To Take Medication for Depression and Anxiety?
- Pride & Humility
- The USA: United States of Anxiety
- Anxiety: A Perspective Problem