The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our September 15, 2019 message, Righteousness: Part 2. For more from this series, check out This Is The Life.
Discussing and Applying the Sermon
Who do you know that has modeled “skilled living” for you? Once you’ve identified someone, do two things:
- Call, email, text, or write them a note to encourage them!
- Ask your community group to help you come up with one way you can grow in wisdom—skilled living—this week
What or who do you think of when you hear the word “righteous” or “righteousness”? Did you know that those two words appear in the book of Proverbs more than 90-times? As we continue our series, This is the Life, Todd Wagner walks us through many different Proverbs, showing us that righteousness is imputed, earned, and a choice.
- Wisdom is really another word for skilled. Proverbs is all about wise—skilled—living.
- Jesus is the only one who lived wisely, prudently, and righteously for every moment of His life, and it’s only through Him that we can become righteous.
- The word “righteous" or “righteousness" shows up over 90-times in the book of Proverbs.
- A spiritually mature person simply needs to know that God is good, He’s in control, and His Word can be trusted.
- Righteousness is a choice.
- When you transform your mind by believing that the Bible isn’t a rule book about how to get to heaven but a book from a loving Father that is trying to protect you from hell, you can live a righteous life.
- One of the attributes of righteous people is that they want more of God.
- If you don’t want more of God, I don’t think you know Him at all.
- Righteousness is both imputed and earned. If you know God by grace through faith, you should want more of Him!
- One of the greatest evidences I am saved is that I hate it when I sin.
- If there is a God and He is good, wouldn’t He seek us when we spit in His face? He did, and it was through Jesus.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Suggested Scripture study: Proverbs 2; Philippians 3:8-20; Proverbs 3:1-2; Proverbs 4:1; Proverbs 5:1-2; Proverbs 7:1-2; Proverbs 8; Proverbs 4:18; Proverbs 10:3,6,7,11; Proverbs 25:11,25; Proverbs 24:26; Proverbs 10:24-25; Colossians 3:1-4
- Sermon: False Religion & Outward Righteousness
- Sermon Series: This is the Life (Volume 1)
- Sermon Series: This is the Life (Volume 2)