From time to time we receive questions about the "sign gifts" and specifically "speaking in tongues." Below you will find fourteen resources to help you better understand this topic.
Message: The Gift Of Tongues - Part 2
3. Message: The Low Down On Filling Up
4. Real Truth. Real Quick. - What Is The Baptism Of The Spirit?
5. Real Truth. Real Quick. - How Do I Know If I Have The Holy Spirit In Me?
6. Real Truth. Real Quick. - What Is The Gift Of Tongues?
7. Real Truth. Real Quick. - Are Tongues A Private Prayer Language?
8. Book: Baptism & Fullness
10. Downloadable Handout: Spiritual Sign Gifts
12. Five Biblical Truths About The Biblical Gift Of Tongues (From the message, "The Gift of Tongues: What it Always is, What it Never Has Been and is it for Today?"
- Tongues have never been normative. (1 Cor. 12:30)
- Tongues are not necessary for spiritual maturity.
- Tongues are not never ending—the gift of tongues will cease (1 Cor. 13:8).
- The gift of tongues is not nurturing to others (1 Cor. 14:2) which is the purpose of Spiritual gifts (1 Cor 12:30).
- Tongues were never intended to be a new form of prayer language.
13. Five Reasons Why We Don't Believe It Is Wise To Use A "Private Prayer Language" - Even If You Keep It In Private. (From the message, "The Gift of Tongues: What it Always is, What it Never Has Been and is it for Today?"
- What’s the point? (1 Cor. 14:15-16) It doesn’t edify others or involve your mind.
- What’s the possibility? (2 Cor. 11:14, 1 John 4:1) It could be of another spirit.
- What’s the primary justification? Experience should not inform Scripture but Scripture should inform experience.
- What it prevents. It can prevent true intimacy with the Father.
- What it promotes. Pride/division/disappointments/elitism.
14. Counterpoint: Are The Sign Gifts For Today?