From time to time we receive questions about the "sign gifts" and specifically "speaking in tongues." Below you will find fourteen resources to help you better understand this topic.
Message: Baptism of the Spirit, Tongues of Fire and the Beginning of the Church
Message: The Gift Of Tongues - Part 2
3. Message: The Low Down On Filling Up
4. Message: The Gift of Tongues: What It Always Is, What It Never Has Been, and Is It for Today?
5. Book: Baptism & Fullness
6. Book: Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God
7. Book: Charismatic Chaos
8. Book: Christianity in Crisis
9. Book: Counterfeit Revival
10. Downloadable Handout: Spiritual Sign Gifts
11. Interpretative Analysis of 1 Corinthians 14:2
12. Counterpoint: Are The Sign Gifts For Today?
13. Five Biblical Truths About The Biblical Gift Of Tongues (From the message, "The Gift of Tongues: What it Always is, What it Never Has Been and is it for Today?www.watermark.org/message/530"
Tongues have never been normative. (1 Cor. 12:30)
Tongues are not necessary for spiritual maturity.
Tongues are not never ending—the gift of tongues will cease (1 Cor. 13:8).
The gift of tongues is not nurturing to others (1 Cor. 14:2) which is the purpose of Spiritual gifts (1 Cor 12:30).
Tongues were never intended to be a new form of prayer language.
19. Five Reasons Why We Don't Believe It Is Wise To Use A "Private Prayer Language" - Even If You Keep It In Private. (From the message, "The Gift of Tongues: What it Always is, What it Never Has Been and is it for Today?"
What’s the point? (1 Cor. 14:15-16) It doesn’t edify others or involve your mind.
What’s the possibility? (2 Cor. 11:14, 1 John 4:1) It could be of another spirit.
What’s the primary justification? Experience should not inform Scripture but Scripture should inform experience.
What it prevents. It can prevent true intimacy with the Father.
What it promotes. Pride/division/disappointments/elitism.