Discussing and Applying the Sermon
- Do you have any outstanding conflict with anyone in your life? If so, commit to resolving it with them as soon as possible—ideally within the next 24-hours.
- At your next community group meeting, have everyone share their conflict tendency (withdrawal, escalate, negatively interpret, invalidate) so that you will be better equipped to handle conflict when it arises in your group.
When you hear the word conflict, what comes to mind? Part of the “Watermark brand”—that being, the Christian brand—is that we are people who deal with conflict swiftly and in its entirety. We believe conflict is a constant opportunity to glorify God, to grow others, and to change & grow ourselves. As those who have been forgiven by Christ, Scripture exhorts us to be marked by peace and unity.
- Conflict - an opportunity to glorify God, grow others, and change & grow yourself
- While all sin leads to conflict, not all conflict is sin.
- If you aren’t a peace maker, you are either going to be a peace breaker or a peace faker.
- Do you know which WENI conflict tendency you lean toward? WENI - Withdraw, Escalate, Negatively Interpret, Invalidate
- As part of Christ’s family, there are no irreconcilable differences.
- Godly churches and families are not found, they are forged.
- 24-hour rule: If someone talks to you about someone else (slander / gossip), lovingly give them 24-hours to go talk to the person they just gossiped about before you go with them to have the conversation.
- God loves you just the way you are, but He also loves you enough that He refuses to leave you that way.
- An offense is too serious to overlook if it: 1) Is dishonoring to God; 2) Has damaged your relationship; 3) Is hurting or might hurt other people, or; 4) Is hurting the offender and diminishing that person’s usefulness to God.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Suggested Scripture study: Ephesians 4:1-6; Philippians 2:1-2; Hebrews 12:12-15; 2 Corinthians 5:18-20; Romans 12:18; Romans 14:19; Proverbs 6:16-19; Proverbs 27:5-6; Proverbs 18:8; Leviticus 19:16; Proverbs 19:11; Ephesians 4:30-32
- Sermon: Don’t Be a WENI - Christlike Communication
- Resource: Conflict Field Guide