The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our November 4, 2018 message, Philippians Week 4.
"To live is Christ. To die is gain." Does your life reflect this truth from Philippians 1:21? As we finish the first chapter of the book of Philippians, Todd Wagner walks through verses 18-30, teaching us how to both live for Christ and believe that death is gain.
- We are the bride of Christ, and there should not be compartmentalized areas in our lives. If the door of you heart is open to who Jesus is, then every area of your life should be affected by who Jesus is.
- I pray that if I’m alive—no matter what is going on in my life and in the world—you are going to get Jesus.
- The “abundant life” in Christ is not necessarily health, wealth and prosperity, but rather, a supernatural ability to have peace, joy, and comfort in the midst of suffering and trials in a fallen world.
- “My fear for you is not that you would fail but that you would succeed at the wrong things.” -Howard Hendricks
- “Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell.” -C.T. Studd
- Not in the flight of ideas, but only in action is freedom. Make up your mind and come out into the tempest of the living.” -Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- “Remember that you are immortal until the Lord’s work for you is done.” -David Livingston
- Much of the professing church in America isn’t looking for some sweet chariot to take them home...and it shouldn’t be that way.
- Many of us aren’t being fruitful for Christ because we don’t love God and we don’t love others. We are living for this world and love what it has to offer.
- I don’t want to anchor-down here; I want to double-down for Christ here.
- For those of you who know Christ, God is leaving you here because He has a mission for you!
- If you don’t have people who will stand up and sacrifice for other people, you don’t have a church...you have a building.
- Suffering is part of the job.
Questions for Reflection and Discussion
In the last seven days:
- What is different about eternity because of the way you lived?
- Who heard about Jesus because of you?
- Who saw you sacrificially give and serve in such a way that others would say it could only be described by the love of Jesus?
- Would someone say this world or the next is more important to you?
Pick one of the questions from above and commit to doing something so that your answer will be different seven days from now.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Suggested Scripture Study: Philippians 1:18-30; Romans 5:9; 2 Corinthians 6:4-10; 2 Corinthians 4:17–18; Matthew 10:24–31; 1 Peter 4:1–16; Matthew 5:10–16
- Equipping Podcast: Free Burma Rangers
- Series - Philippians: To Live is Christ