The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our October 21, 2018 message, Philippians — Week 2.
As we continue our series “Philippians: To Live Is Christ,” Todd walks us through five things we should pray for if we are followers of Christ: Greater Love, Greater Things, Greater Character, Greater Lives, & Greater Glory.
- My favorite book of the Bible is the one I’m currently spending time in, and right now, that is the book of Philippians.
- God was not trying to create an Epcot, an experimental prototype. The church is God’s plan to insert a paradisiacal community of people into a fallen world.
- The reason our world is in the condition it is in is because we don’t want to do business with God.
- We don’t pray because we are disciplined, we pray because we are desperate.
- Prayer isn’t us petitioning the Father for our will to be done, but for us to learn and desire the Father’s will on earth and in our lives.
- What do you do for people you love? You pray for them.
- If you don’t like your pastor, pray for the one you’ve got.
- Do you want to make your prayers more effective? Pray Scripture. Pray God’s Word.
- One of the most dangerous things for the church is when false teachers or enemies are saying things that are true. It’s why false teachers say as much truth as they can.
- This sin of pride, self-righteousness, and Pharasaicism are far more dangerous than visible sins.
- We sing Bethel and Hillsong songs here, but that doesn’t mean we believe or agree with everything they say and teach.
- Do you want a special blessing to fall on you or do you want to discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness?
- We aren’t committed to our Bible at the expense of the Spirit.
- What changes you is when you control the tongue you have and speak differently with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to one another
5 Things we should pray for (Philippians 1:9-11):
- Greater Love
- Greater Things
- Greater Character
- Greater Lives
- Greater Glory
Questions for Reflection and Discussion
- How is your community group doing at being a “paradisiacal community” to the people around you in this fallen world? What’s one way in the next month your group can live more on mission together?
- Which of the five things Todd mentioned—love, things, character, lives, glory—will you commit to praying for this next week? In addition to praying, how can you go pursue one of them?
- How do you currently discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness? Check out Equipped Disciple, a three-part training series designed to help root, deepen and strengthen followers of Christ through a practical approach to discipleship in the context of personal time with God and small group interaction. The primary objective is to take life changing steps toward a closer, more intimate relationship with God by learning, practicing and becoming consistent in the basics
Mentioned or Recommended Resources