Discussing and Applying the Sermon
- Where in your life could you use (more) perseverance? Share this with your community group, and ask them to help you come up with a way you can trust the Lord in the midst of your trial.
Are there any areas of your life that are difficult right now? Areas where you are tempted to throw in the towel and quit? As we continue our series, This is the Life, Tyler Briggs teaches us about perseverance and its importance in the midst of the trouble, hardship, and suffering of this world.
- The book of Proverbs helps us apply divine wisdom to our daily lives.
- In order to experience “the life” in the midst of the trouble, hardship, and suffering of this world, one character trait must be present: perseverance.
- Without perseverance you will be frustrated with your circumstances, angry at God, and discouraged about your life...discouragement, despair, and depression will be a daily battle.
- You persevere by trusting in God in the midst of trials.
- Nobody has ever accidentally persevered. It’s an active, diligent pursuit of the Lord.
- When we are going through hard times, our focus should not be on ourselves or on our circumstances, but on God.
- You persevere with the support of community.
- Who your community is matters. If you have bad community, not only will they not help, they will compound your problems.
- You might be struggling to persevere because of the people around you. You need to change your playground and your playmates.
- Community can’t be your substitute for personally pursuing God. We can’t look to community to do what only we can do for ourselves.
- Jesus is the perfect example of perseverance.
- God is not asking you to do or experience something that He didn’t.
- When the cross was before Jesus, He prayed. When He was on the cross, He persevered.
- Acknowledge that you need help to persevere. Trust in the Lord—know and apply His wisdom. Reach out to the right community for help. Look to the example of Jesus.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Suggested Scripture study: Proverbs 16:25; Proverbs 24:10,16; Proverbs 18:10; Proverbs 4:4-6,20-23; Proverbs 7:1-3; Proverbs 18:1; Proverbs 24:5-6; Ecclesiastes 4:9-12; Proverbs 25:19; Hebrews 4:14-16
- Real Truth Real Quick: If I Have Enough Faith Will God Heal Me?
- Sermon: The Truth About Troubles and Trials
- Sermon: How the Bible Preps Us for Perseverance