The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our December 15, 2019 message, Leadership: Part 2. For more from this series, check out This Is The Life.
Discussing and Applying the Sermon
- Where in your life are you “following the polls” rather than changing them?
- Is there anywhere in your life you are afraid of being misunderstood, resulting in you not speaking up and saying or doing the right thing?
Leadership is everything. As leadership goes, so goes everyone and everything else. As we continue our series, “[This is the Life](https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.watermark.org%2Fseries%2F658&data=02%7C01%7CLOwens%40watermark.org%7C18b26f70adfc444442f108d78232008f%7C392ffb3ed88f4dcb93e1288505309c5a%7C0%7C0%7C637121023581787018&sdata=ZFaDBXumquaww4%2B%2FS7h1aQa99vzhjTA58f3LTm3R5lY%3D&reserved=0 "Original URL:
Click to follow link."),” Todd Wagner finishes the second of two weeks teaching on leadership.
- Great leaders never ask their followers to do something that they aren’t willing to do themselves.
- I see crisis as an opportunity for my God to show himself.
- The Bible is not a leaders manual or a rule book; it is an autobiography of the greatest leader in the history of the world.
- I don’t care who you are or where you’ve been…if you repent, you can be a blessing and a leader to others.
- The fastest way to build trust is competence. The fastest way to lose trust is character.
- When your competency is greater than your character, you are a danger to yourself and to others.
- Leadership is influence, and influence happens through trust.
- Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, but power is not necessarily corrupt. Power is an opportunity…and opportunity is optimized when it is infused with wisdom.
- Horrible leaders may have their day, but they WILL get their day.
- Can you think of anything you can do better than God? No! God is better at forgiveness and love—as well as vengeance—than you are.
- Wise leaders listen but they are not led by voices.
- Leaders lead. They don’t follow polls, they change them.
- The double trouble of a fool is an open mouth and a closed mind.
- Leaders see what others can’t see so they do what others don’t know should be done yet.
- A leader whose kryptonite is criticism will never be a super leader.
- Leadership is a commitment to be misunderstood.
- A leader who loves praise is not praiseworthy.
- Addicts will either come at you with criticism or with praise. Beware of both.
- A leader who gives way to the wicked is the worst kind of wicked himself.
- If you are seduced by what leadership offers than you are not able to serve leaders.
- Leaders who use their position for Sex or Excess or Riches will not lead for long.
- The rich are infinitely better off than the poor because they know that riches won’t buy them happiness.
- Who you call your King determines what Kingdom you will enjoy.
- "Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave.” -Martin Luther
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act” -George Orwell
- "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." -Winston Churchill
- “Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.” -Benjamin Franklin
- "Democracy gives every man the right to be his own oppressor." -James Russell Lowell
Mentioned or Recommended Resources