Who is God? It seems like such a simple question, but the answer is infinitely complex. Ask a group of adult Christians and you might get blank stares or nervous glances as they try to come up with words to define Him. A person’s answer can tell you a lot about them and their relationship with God. Our answer to this most important question shapes how we view the world, ourselves and other people.
MEMORY VERSE: “Respect everyone, and love your Christian brothers and sisters. Fear God, and respect the King.” 1 Peter 2:17
This Week’s Finish Line: We Believe Weekend: God!
This weekend we are asking three questions and seeing how God answers them in His Word. While we know that no single statement can sum up our infinite God, we hope these truths will give us a little bit better view of who God really is. Who is God? God is the all-powerful, all-knowing, all-seeing Creator of everything. What is God like? God is holy, just, loving, and faithful. How many persons are in God? There are 3 persons in 1 God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- How would you describe God? Who is He to you? What are your favorite qualities about Him?
- Read Romans 1:20 and Exodus 34:6-7. What do these verses tell us about who God is? (Creator, compassionate, merciful, slow to anger, filled with unfailing love and faithfulness, forgiver of sins).
- Read 1 Peter 1:2 and Titus 3:4-6. How do you see the Trinity working together in Scripture? ( Jesus’s baptism, salvation, prayer )
- Why does it matter what you believe about God? How does it impact the way you see yourself, others and the world? (Hint: think back to what we talked about all month with Respect, honoring what God says is true about Himself, others, and me. What we believe about God shapes how we view everything else because we either believe what He says is true, or we come up with our own definition.)
* Check out our vision for parents and how to use these activities each week.
Teacher: Meal Time
At dinner this week, read Romans 5:8 then ask your family the following questions: How has God shown His great love for you? Based on what we know is true about God, how should we live? What are ways that we can honor Him with our choices and grow closer in our walk with Him? (Hint: This would be a great time to talk about spiritual disciplines like prayer, quiet time, and scripture memory, and talk about how you’re doing in those areas and where you can grow as a family!)
Friend: Drive Time
While you are in the car sometime this week, ask your kids the following: What are some of your favorite words to describe God? How do you honestly view Him in your life right now? Do you live like you believe God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-seeing? Why or why not? How has God shown His holiness, justice, love and faithfulness recently in your life? Then share with your kids how what you think about God impacts the way you live.
As you are putting your family to bed, thank God simply for who He is. Be specific in praising Him for all the qualities you know are true about Him. Praise Him for how He is revealing Himself to you and working in your life. Ask Him to help you have a better understanding of who He is and live like you believe He is who He says He is.
Click here to check out our take home page from this weekend! Make flashcards to review with your kids what we’ve learned about the Bible and God so far this year! You can also use these cards to play “Memory” or make up a game of your own as a family!
Thank God simply for who He is. Praise Him for how He is revealing Himself to you and working in your life. Ask Him to help you have a better understanding of who He is and live like you believe He is who He says He is.
Next week we will begin a new trait, Responsibility!
Image via Unsplash