The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our August 18, 2019 message, How to Never Hear, “Depart From Me I Never Knew You.”https://www.watermark.org/message/6672. For more from this series, check out Summer on the Mount.
Discussing and Applying the Sermon
Read Matthew 7:21-29. What did you learn? What are you doing to do about it? Who are you going to tell?
Have you ever had doubts about your salvation? About whether or not you are saved? As we finish our series, Summer on the Mount, Todd Wagner walks us through Matthew 7:21-29, teaching us how we can know we are saved and what to do—how to live—in light of studying the entirety of the Sermon on the Mount the past three-months.
- Anytime you study God’s Word you want to ask yourself, “What am I going to do (application) in light of what I just read?”
- God wants to save you from the very thing you are born into: judgment, sin, and death.
- The church is never in more danger than when there are wolves in sheep’s clothing.
- What’s the will of the Father? Believe in Him whom He has sent.
- You can be amazed at Jesus’ words, do amazing things by the power of His Word and be accursed by Him
- Obeying sacraments doesn’t make you righteous. Believing and obeying Christ makes you righteous.
- God is going to use you whether you are a Judas or a John. Which you choose makes an eternal difference.
- Make sure you are a doer of the Word and not just someone that the Word is doing something through.
- You have nothing that you can do but repent and acknowledge your sin before a holy God.
- If you can tell someone the story of the cross and not be convicted by your sin, that is a problem.
- Christians should be the most humble people on earth.
- If the foundation of your life is anything other than Jesus, it will crumble.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Suggested Scripture study: Matthew 7:21-29; John 6:26-29; John 13:15-30; Luke 9:1,10; John 6:67-70; James 2:14-20; Matthew 21:33-46; 1 John 5:11-13
- Real Truth Real Quick: Can Someone Do the Work of the Lord and Not Be Saved?
- Real Truth Real Quick: Can I Believe in Jesus and Not Be Saved?
- Real Truth Real Quick: How Do I Know if I Am Saved?
- Real Truth Real Quick: Can A Believer Lose Their Salvation?
- Sermon: Salvation