The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our June 3, 2018 message, "How to be Rich." Watch now.
Do you want to be rich? What about being the richest person alive that you know? Because of the grace of God, you can be the richest person you know. The living God is better than you can imagine, and a relationship with Him is the way to be rich.
- If you make more than $25,000 per year, you are in the top 2% of the richest people in the world. If you have a relationship with Christ, you can be the richest person in the world.
- Health, wealth, and prosperity gospel is not the gospel…it is a lie from the pit of hell. It’s the doctrine of the devil, and America has exported it all around the world to our (Christianity’s) great shame.
- Whether you know God or not, when you live by the truths and realities of His created world, it will largely go well with you. But apart from the grace of God through a relationship with Christ, you will never be rich.
- The reward of humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, honor, and life. (Proverbs 22:4)
- Humility is the gift that looks good on everybody.
- Don’t follow your heart, inform your heart.
- The greatest thought you have about God is not great enough.
- Do you want to be rich? Invest in these three things that last and provide joy forever:
- Invest in humility before the only True and Living Good God
- Invest in His Word which teaches you the kindness of the only True God and His blessed way
- Invest in people who will forever thank you and add to the praise due the only True God
Questions for Reflection and Discussion
- When you hear the word “rich,” what comes to mind? Do you think of yourself?
- Does hope and purpose and joy describe your life? If yes, go share of the riches of the grace of Jesus Christ with someone else this week. If no, we’d love to tell you how you can have all three and so much more: email@example.com.
- Read Ephesians 1, 2, and 3. Make a list of the times “riches” shows up and identify one way you can remind yourself of those riches this week.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Scripture study: Ephesians 1-3, Joshua 1:8, Proverbs 22:4, Jeremiah 9:23-24, Psalm 107:1-6, Matthew 6:19-24, Proverbs 3:1-18, Proverbs 5:7-9,22
- Message: How to Avoid the Black Hole of Crap that Profits Us Nothing
- Message: A Generous Dozen, Part 1 (Generosity)
- Message: A Truly Rich Life
- Message: Greed & Generosity
- Message: Generosity