The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our April 7, 2019 message, Focused on Ministry and Service. For more from this series, check out How He Built This.
Discussing and Applying the Sermon
Are you focusing your time, your talent, and your treasure toward ministry and service? Are you serving somewhere?
- If no, why not? Will you commit to finding an area of service within the next 30-days?
- If yes, do you feel equipped and deployed where you are serving? Are your time, talents, and treasure being fully utilized?
- Whether you answered yes or no, discuss your answer with your community group and ask them to give you feedback and observations.
While we are constantly encouraged by what God is doing at and through Watermark, we believe there is room for so much more! He built this through faithful people who focused their time, talents, and treasure—all of which belong to God—toward ministry and service over the last 19 years. What about you...are you using your time, talents, and treasure the way the Lord would have you?
Why Us? - Romans 12:1-2
- Romans 12:1-2 is following Jesus 101. If you haven't, memorize it!
- Two great ways to grow in your relationship with Christ is to journal and memorize/meditate on God’s Word.
- When you start spending time with the Lord, try writing out and praying: "Speak Lord, your servant is listening. You are in charge and I am not. Lord, you were at work today before I woke up.” Then, sit and listen to what He has for you.
- Make a list of what’s on your mind/heart and give it to God.
- Where has my heart gotten hooked today? Did I have too much of something?
- Where did my heart grow cold today? Where did I miss divine opportunities?
- Where was I scared today? Where did you withdraw and where were you not courageous?
- Where did I get prideful today?
- To live a life focused on ministry and service, start each day by praying: God, will you please use me today? End each day in confession and repentance.
- Are you daily presenting yourself to God as a living sacrifice?
- Are you daily transformed or conformed?
- What discipline can you insert or sharpen in your life to grow in these areas?
What Hinders Us? - Romans 12:3
- Simply put, we are hindered because we think of ourselves more highly than we ought to.
- Man’s view of Time: guarded; God's view: give it away
- Man's view of Talents: my good; God's view: God's glory
- Man's view of Treasure: my comfort; God's view: Christ's Kingdom
- Our obedience affects how we use our gifts for ministry.
- Christianity is not about performance based acceptance. We live in acceptance based performance. Because of Christ, we get to be obedient and follow Him.
- What is hindering your usefulness?
- What is your next faithful step to deal with the debris that is clogging your usefulness to the Master?
Why Not Us? - Romans 12:4-8
- GIFTS are: Given by God, Imparted to individuals, For the edification of the body, Tested against Scriptures.
- If you are not engaged with us and you are not using your gifts, you are hurting the church.
- Are you looking to sail on a cruise ship or a battle ship? This is a battle ship. We have a Master, a mission, and everyone has a role to play.
- Discover your gifts: Where do others see you making a difference? Where do you come alive and what do you enjoy doing?
- Develop your gifts: When you do this, be ready for some sharpening conversations.
- Deploy your gifts: Don’t wait for the right or perfect thing...just get busy.
- Pharaoh never misses his Joseph.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources