Did you leave after hearing Sunday’s message and think, “Well, now what?” Each Sunday, we will provide a discussion guide for our church body designed to create a conversation about what we’re learning. We encourage you to prayerfully gather with your family, friends and community group and dive into how to apply Sunday’s teaching from God’s Word to your life.
To view the current message series, as well as our entire library of sermons, be sure to check out our media page.
In addition to the following discussion questions you may find this post helpful which contains additional verses dealing with conflict as well as the conflict field guide that John referenced in today’s message.
1. According to James 4:1, what is the source of our fights and quarrels? What does James 4:6 say we are supposed to do when we mess up?
2. John stated that the number one indicator of divorce is the inability to resolve conflict. As a couple, rate your ability to resolve conflict. As a community group, parent and/or friend, how would you rate your ability to resolve conflict?
3. John stated that the goal of communication is mutual understanding (see Proverbs 18:2) and not to “win” the argument. What steps can you take to ensure mutual understanding?
4. Discuss the following 4 destructive patterns to good communication:
Which of these do you tend to practice?
5. Discuss ways you can begin to practice better communication skills by: