Today Todd focused on 2 Peter 1:12-21 as he reminded us of our responsibility to respond to the resources that God has made available to us, namely the Truth of His Word.
- In today’s sermon, Todd used the words “inerrant” and “infallible” to describe the Bible. Use a dictionary to define each of these terms. Do you believe that the Bible, which is the Word of God, is both inerrant and infallible? How does 2 Peter 1:21 add to your understanding? What other Bible verses can you think of that help confirm this truth?
- As Christians, we do not work for our salvation, but we are called to work out our salvation in response to the love of Christ. How has the unconditional, unrelenting love of your Savior continued to compel you to work out your salvation for His glory? (See also, Ephesians 2:8-10).
- In 2 Peter 1:12-13, Peter proclaims his desire to stir up others with the truth of who Jesus is. How are you stirring up others with the truth of who Jesus is? Who specifically will you aim to stir up and pray for this week? (See also, Philippians 1:9-11 & Colossians 1:9-14).
- Peter lived with a sense of his own mortality, (2 Peter 1:13-15), and as a result, made the eternal things of Jesus Christ his main priority. Do you live with a sense of your own mortality? (See also, Psalm 90:12, Hebrews 9:27, James 4:14). What or who is the first and foremost priority of your life? What would those around you (family, friends, co-workers, community group members…) say is the first and foremost priority of your life? If your first priority is not Jesus Christ, what changes need to be made?
- Todd gave us 4 application points by which we must live in order to be fruitful and useful disciples of Christ:
- a. Be a student of God’s Word.
- b. Be in community with other Christians who will faithfully stir you up with the truth of God’s Word.
- c. Be diligent to make knowing, loving and living for Jesus the first passion of your life.
- d. Be ultimately informed by the truth of God’s Word, not circumstances or experiences.
Which of these 4 is missing or lacking in your life and what are you going to do about it?