JP took the baton and continued the Hold Fast series. Teaching from 2 Peter 2:10b-19, he focused on false teachers, how to identify them and how to guard ourselves from them.
- How does 2 Peter 2:10b-19 identify false teachers? Can you think of any false teachers in our society? What makes them a false teacher?
- How do false teachers entice others? What are the things of this world (money, status, sex, comfort, etc.) that appeal to you most? Are there areas where you are following these desires more than Christ? Identify your weaknesses and potential pit falls that can entrap you.
- John 8:31-32 says, “So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’” How can we guard from false teaching? Do you have a plan to study God’s word? Where can you apply God’s truth to your life today? Are you allowing other, more mature Christians to speak truth into your life?
- 1 Peter 2:16 states, “Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God.” What does it mean to be set free from sin but live as servants to Christ?
- JP mentions that God has offered us a “great deal” to trade the temporal desires of this world for eternal pleasures and treasures in Heaven. Have you trusted Christ with your temporary life on earth, in exchange for an eternal life in Heaven? If not, what’s stopping you? If so, what can you do today in faith to store up treasures in Heaven (Matthew 6:19-21)?