This weekend, as we continued our series “Can You Relate?”, JP taught us about our relationship with Community. At Watermark, we bet the farm on Community. It’s how we shepherd one another, and the bigger we get, the smaller we must become. Community is a T-E-A-M sport (Time, Encouragement, Accountability, & Maturity) where every individual exists for the team, not for themselves.
- “Time – Scripture is unapologetically calling you to make your community group a big rock in your life (Hebrews 10:24-25). The more time you spend with your CG—being together and talking about the things of God—the more you are becoming more like Jesus. What’s the number one thing that make or breaks a CG? Easy: Time.” Where does your CG rank as a priority in your life? How much time do you devote to it?
- “Encouragement – Doing life together is hard. It’s a whole lot more difficult without encouragement (1 Thessalonians 5:11). Just like your car can’t run without gas, your CG can’t run without encouragement.” What kind of friend are you when things start going poorly in someone’s life? What’s one way you can encourage someone in your CG this week?
- “Accountability – When we meet as a group we get sitters because we believe this is something worthy to invest in. Part of accountability includes confession (James 5:16), correction (Proverbs 12:1), and trust.” Try adding these three questions to your group this week: What has God taught you this week; What thoughts or actions hindered your walk with Christ this week; and, How have you helped others see or know Jesus this week?
- “Maturity – There is an expectation that you would grow—not stay where you are (Hebrews 10:24-25). Biblical community stops at nothing to move each other closer and closer to Jesus.” How are you growing in your relationship with Christ because of the time and commitment toward your CG? What’s one thing you could start doing this next week to grow more?
- Check out some of Watermark’s top resources for Community Groups: www.watermark.org/community
- Check out www.watermark.org/bettertogether for resources and messages from Better Together
- A great book on Community: Everybody’s Normal Till You Get to Know Them by John Ortberg
- The Darker Side of Small Group