Did you leave after hearing Sunday’s message and think, “Well, now what?” Each Sunday, we will provide a discussion guide for our church body designed to create a conversation about what we’re learning. We encourage you to prayerfully gather with your family, friends and community group and dive into how to apply Sunday’s teaching from God’s Word to your life.
To view the current message series, as well as our entire library of sermons, be sure to check out our media page.
- Todd said “The greatest evil in the world today is the dead church.” How did Todd define the “dead” church? Why did he say this? Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain.
- Do you agree with the idea that “faith without works is dead”? What is the difference between a “said” faith and a “saving” faith? What evidence in your life speaks to your having a “saving” faith?
- Respond to this idea: “We are saved by faith alone but not by a faith that is alone.” Todd argued that what James argued is consistent with the rest of Scripture. Compare James’ words with what Jesus (Matthew 7:15-20) and Paul (Ephesians 2:8-10) said. Based on these passages, what is the relationship between faith and works?
- What area(s) in your life have you failed to live out the faith this week? In what ways have you failed to live consistently with what you profess to believe? Who do you need to ask for forgiveness? What do you think The Lord would have you do now? How can you begin to bear fruit in keeping with repentance?
- Discuss the following statements with your group that Todd mentioned during his message:
“It is a good thing to possess an accurate theology – but it is unsatisfactory unless that good theology possesses you.”
“James 2 does not produce Lordship salvation (works must be added to faith before you’re saved) but it is the Lord’s declaration of what salvation produces (works will be there if you’re saved).”
God’s work of grace always works
We don’t add works to faith…because true faith always works
Compare these lists and talk about which area you need encouragement…either in Justification (being declared righteous) or Sanctification (God declaring His continued work in you)
By faithfully abiding
Not as a result of works
By “working out” our salvation
Our position in Christ
Our practice of Christianity
What God has done for me
What God is doing in me
God’s commitment to me
My commitment to God
By belief in God’s command
By obedience to God’s commandments
Focus on cross of Christ
Focus on taking up my cross daily
Finished work of God
Finished when God is done with me on earth