We started a 3-week series called Prep, a series of TED talks. You know, Theology, Equipping, Discipleship! Today, we heard from Jonathan Pokluda talking about pornography, John Elmore talking about addiction, and Rick Smith talking about the surprises of life.
1. JP defined pornography as fantasizing about anyone you are not married to, and it is sin without exception. It leads to dysfunction, unnatural desire, and life numbness or depression. Are you willing to do the things that will set you free from pornography? Healing comes by:
- Confessing to others (James 5:16)
- Praying very honest prayers (Colossians 4:2)
- Removing access (Matthew 5:29-30)
- Pursuing your spouse (1 Corinthians 7:9)
- Pursuing Jesus (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
Are you willing to do whatever it takes to be set free from pornography?
2. Addiction is an unhealthy action that is repeated. We all are addicted to something. What addictions rule your life? John Elmore talked about how addictions form, how we get free, and how we stay free. Read James 1:14-15. Here's the path to the DEATH of addiction—you:
- Desire it.
- Entertain it.
- Appetite for it.
- Trapped by it.
- Helpless against it.
Freedom comes at the cross of Christ. Read John 8:31-32; Romans 8:1-2. He paid the debt for your addiction. How do we stay free from addictions? The people of God—tell others; the Word of God—read Psalm 119:11 and hide His Word in your heart; the Spirit of God—read and live out Galatians 5:16.
What are you going to do about the addictions in your life? What steps will you take today? Who will you tell?
3. Rick Smith asked, "Who doesn't like surprises?" But how do you handle the surprises of life? Here is something you must do, something you must never do, and 9 words to always remember:
- Always—Trust God (Proverbs 3:5a)
- Never—Do not trust yourself (Proverbs 3:5b)
- Nine words—Dear God, help me to trust You, not me.
What are the surprises of your life? How have you handled them? How can your community help you deal with future surprises? Who are you going to trust? Who are you going to call? What Scripture is going to inform and comfort you?