1. What do you think it means to have a personal relationship with God? What does John 14:12-31 say about this?
2. What counterfeit experiences did Todd mention are often touted by others as a means to help you “experience” God? What are some others you have seen? Are there any you are prone to? How can you exchange them for authentic ones?
3. How can your community group help you with the long road of faith, trust, and obedience that leads greater intimacy with the Lord?
4. Todd made the case that the love of Christ is the means and the model for us to keep the commandments of God. Why is it important to understand the difference between are obedience being a means to show our earnest love for God (which it is) and a requirement to earn the love of God (which they are not).
5. If laboring without loving is legalism, where has this crept into your life? Do you fully understand you can’t earn God’s love? Read Romans 5:8 and 1 Johns 4:19 to be reminded that He loves us before, not because we love Him.
6. If loving but not laboring is lunacy, where has this crept into your life? Do you fully understand works grow out of our love for God?
7. How did Todd show that understanding the truth of John 14 helps us understand the truth in James 2:14-20?
If you have any questions about the message, or would like to dialogue about any of the questions listed above, we encourage you to leave a comment below.