The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our April 29, 2018 message, Dignity of Responsibility.
Do you remember when you were first given the dignity of responsibility? Gary Haugen—founder and CEO of International Justice Mission (IJM)—teaches us how we have all been given the dignity of responsibility from God, as we do His work in His world. God has us in an utterly unique moment in history, fighting against the most iconic evil in the human story: slavery.
- There are 40 million people illegally enslaved; more than any time in human history.
- Human slavery is a $150 billion business, generating more annual profits than Coca-Cola, Disney, General Electric, Wells Fargo, and Exxon-Mobil…combined.
While slavery is more vast than ever before, it’s also more stoppable than ever before.
- Slavery is now illegal everywhere in the world.
- 70% of the world’s slaves are in just 10 countries.
There is a vaccine to slavery: effective law enforcement and excellent service for survivors.
200-years ago, within a single generation, God—through the local church and leaders like William Wilberforce—ended the most prosperous slave economies at that point in human history.
- It’s time to wake up, church. Let’s go, church!
Questions for Reflection and Discussion
Do you remember the first time you were given the dignity of responsibility? How did it make you feel?
It’s been said that the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. What are you currently doing to fight the horrific evils of slavery?
Could God be giving you the dignity of responsibility to end slavery?
- Visit IJM’s website to learn more about what Gary Haugen and his team are doing to fight slavery
- Join Gary and IJM at the Liberate Conference, September 28-29, 2018, in Dallas, TX.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to engage further on justice initiatives.
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Scripture study: Micah 6:8, Isaiah 1:17, Psalm 37:27-29, Proverbs 24:11-12
- Real Truth. Real Quick: What Does The Bible Say About Slavery?
- Ministry: Reclaimed: Fighting the roots and symptoms of trafficking
- Watermark Local Ministry Partner: Advocates for Community Transformation (ACT)
- Liberate Conference, September 28-29, 2018, in Dallas, TX