The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our October 7 2018 message, Commitment is the Key to Change.
Have you come into relationship with Jesus Christ? If so, has it radically changed everything about your life? Tyler Briggs teaches us that life change in Christ occurs when we commit to being in a relationship with Jesus, commit to getting well, and commit to being the church.
Life change happens when you commit to a relationship with Jesus
- Jesus didn’t die so you could follow some rules, Jesus died so you could have a relationship with Him.
- Jesus doesn’t say do, He says done. He say’s come. Come into a relationship with Me.
- To come to Jesus is to trust Him. It is to say, “Not my will be done, but Your will be done.”
Life change happens when you commit to getting well rather than pretending to be well.
Jesus doesn’t ask you to be good...to be something you are not. He asks you to be honest.
Jesus did not come for those who are “good”...He came for those who are not good!
Getting well is not about working hard, it’s about asking for help.
How do you get well? You commit to these four things:
Commit to admit - “I am powerless to change” (Romans 7:18).
Commit to dependence - “God, I can’t, but You can” (Galatians 5:16).
Commit to confession - Declare that you are not well (1 John 1:9; James 5:16).
Commit to repentance - Repentance is not avoiding sin, it is pursuing God (Romans 6:12-14).
Life change happens when you commit to be the church rather than just attending a church.
- Life is better when you live in a relationship with Jesus and His people.
- The word “church” isn’t in the Bible. “Ekklesia” is a group of people called out to work together for a specific purpose...followers of Jesus joined together for the sake of spreading the gospel and making disciples.
- Acts 2:42-47 gives us an example of how the church learns together, experiences fellowship, shares meals, prays, cares for each other, has a unity of purpose, and is full of joy.
- You were never created to live this life—or even follow Jesus—alone. And if you do, you will fall.
Questions for Reflection and Discussion
- Have you ever committed to a relationship with Jesus? If not, email us at email@example.com; we’d love to talk to you about how you can! If you have, what’s one way you can deepen your intimacy with Him? Check out Equipped Disciple, an amazing ministry to invest in your relationship with Jesus.
- Do you want to get well rather than pretending to be well? We all experience brokenness in life…are you honest enough to admit that you do? If you want to get well, check out re:generation, a 12-step discipleship ministry where you will find recovery and freedom in Jesus Christ.
- Have you committed to be the church and become a church member where God has you, or do you just attend church? If God has you near the DFW metroplex and you are not a member at a church, check out our Membership Process at one of our four campuses and commit to the local church. If you are not near the DFW metroplex, watch this Real Truth Real Quick: How Do I Choose A Church, and commit to a local church where God has you
Mentioned or Recommended Resources