On Sunday, September 5, Watermark will not be meeting on the Dallas campus. Instead we are hosting our community groups, neighbors, family, and friends in smaller groups for time together reading Scripture, in prayer, and breaking bread (Acts 2:42). Organize a group in your home, backyard, or a park. We don’t just “go to church.” We are the church for each other.
Here’s a guide you can use for your time together.
Before You Gather
Organize your community group, friends, neighbors, or whoever you want to invite so you can plan where and when to meet on Sunday.
When you meet, start by sharing a meal together. You could coordinate a potluck brunch, order takeout or catering, grill together in the backyard, or use your gift of hospitality to prepare a home-cooked meal for everyone. Feel free to add some fun with games or outdoor activities!
Scripture Reading and Prayer
At Watermark, our mission is to be and make disciples of Jesus Christ. Discipleship is the process of learning and growing as a follower of Christ. We have always used 4Bs to define our approach to discipleship: Believe, Belong, Be Trained, Be Strong. After your meal, spend some time opening the Bible, reading Scripture out loud, and responding with prayers for the 4Bs that mark our church family. Depending on the size of your gathering, you may want to split up into smaller prayer groups.
- Read John 3:16, Romans 6:23, and Ephesians 2:8-9 out loud.
- Thank God for His unfailing love demonstrated through Jesus Christ.
- Pray for everyone who has yet to believe in Christ. Consider praying for specific friends who have yet to believe in Christ.
- Pray for opportunities to proclaim and explain the gospel to others.
- Read 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4:1-6, and Hebrews 10:24-25 out loud.
- Pray that Watermark would function like a body with many unique parts connected, growing, cooperating, and caring for each other.
- Thank God for the people in your life who support or strengthen your faith. Pray for these people by name.
- Pray that all of the groups within our church would be marked by love and acceptance.
- Pray that all of the groups within our church would offer and receive biblical counsel to guide all aspects of life.
- Pray for peace and unity wherever there might be conflict or broken relationships within the church body.
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17, Colossians 1:28, and 2 Timothy 3:16-17 out loud.
- Thank God for giving us the Bible to serve as our authority, conscience, and guide.
- Pray that we would experience transformation through daily dependence on Christ and obedience to Scripture.
- Pray that we would be a church marked by learning and growing.
- Pray that we would find healing from hurts.
- Pray that we would see our sin and repent.
- Pray for specific ministries at Watermark that are seeking to disciple people in various specific life stages or experiences.
- Read 1 Peter 4:10, Ephesians 4:11-13, and Romans 12:4-8 out loud.
- Thank God for the gifts He has given His children to serve and build up the church.
- Pray that people at Watermark would discover their gifts and connect with meaningful ways to participate in the work of ministry.
- Pray for the Lord to bring additional workers to any ministries that you currently benefit from, serve with, or contribute to.
- Pray for the future influence of Watermark in our city and neighborhoods.
If you have a musician or vocalist in your group, consider adding a few worship songs to your time together. Don’t think you have to impress anyone with your singing ability; just make a joyful noise to the Lord (Psalm 95:1)!