The following blog post contains notes and application questions from our April 9, 2018 message, Sailing in the Storm. Watch the full message. This message is part of our Acts series. See other messages in this series.
Do you ever feel like you are completely out of control? Using the historical account of Paul in Acts 27:9-44, JP teaches us how to stay sailing in the storms of life. From Paul’s example, we learn how to: stay steady in the storm, seek Who is sovereign in the storm, and not stop in the storm.
Stay Steady in the Storm
- There are things in life you can control and things you can’t control…be faithful, and focus on what you can control.
- Do not judge obedience by the outcome.
- When a hurricane (i.e., “storms of life) hits, you start to realize what really matters.
Seek who is Sovereign in the Storm
- God is the captain in the storm; He has not stopped driving and is fully in control.
- The storm you are in is an opportunity to display the faith you say you have.
- Others often come to faith by observing the faith of someone else going through a storm.
- The only time courage can exist is in a storm…you don’t need courage on sunny days
- Do more of what causes you to love God!
Don't Stop the Storm
- Keep doing the basic things (quiet time, eat, sleep, workout, nap, etc.) in the middle of storms.
- You can’t afford to not do what you feel like you can’t do.
- The decisions you make in the storm will impact your life after the storm.
- If you do stop in the storm, stop to give thanks.
Questions for Reflection & Discussion
- When was the last time you were in a situation—the storms of life—where you were completely out of control?
- What’s one way you can remind yourself to be obedient and not focus on the outcome?
- Whose faith have you been encouraged by? Say a prayer of thanks for them, then, reach out to that person and thank them for their faithfulness and encourage them to excel still more.
- What’s one way you can remind yourself to focus on being obedient and not focus on the outcome of your obedience?
Mentioned or Recommended Resources
- Scripture study: Acts 27:9-44
- Real Truth. Real Quick: How Should I Respond to Difficult Surprises In Life?
- Message: How the Bible Preps Us for Perseverance
- Message: Extraordinary Living Marked by Ordinary Obedience
- Message: Calm in the Midst of Crisis