Looking for something fun to do with the family this weekend? We’ve got you covered! Having just wrapped up the book of Numbers on The Journey and launching into the book of Deuteronomy, now is a great time to watch the next episode of What’s in the Bible? as a family. What might God want to teach your family from the wanderings of the Israelites in Numbers or the second giving of the Law in Deuteronomy? Pop some popcorn, grab your Bibles and have fun learning for God’s Word!
If this is your first What’s in the Bible? family movie night, be sure to take a look at some of these helpful tips for using the family guide as well as the What’s in the Bible? viewing schedule to know when to jump into the next episode!
Family Guide for Volume 3, Episode 2: What is a “Pentateuch”?
- Why is the 4th book of the Bible called “Numbers”? (because they counted all the people of Israel at the beginning of the book and again at the end of the book)
- Why did the Israelites wander around in the desert for 40 years? (it was their “timeout” for not believing God when He told them to go in and take the land He had promised to give them)
- What does the word “Deuteronomy” mean? (it means “second law” or “repeated law”) Why did Moses have to repeat the Law a second time? (because all the children of Israel had grown up during their 40 years in the dessert and needed to be reminded of the Law and the story of what God had done for Israel)
- We learned that the word “Holy” means “set apart for God.“ When we say God is “Holy” what does that mean? (it means that God is set apart from everything else, that there is nothing and no one else like God, that He is perfect)
- What does it mean to “fear” God? Does it mean we should be afraid of Him? (it means to respect God, like we would respect fire)
- Build a fire in your fireplace or fire pit in the back yard (if you don’t have the ability to do that, use your stove or a candle) and gather your family around it. Talk about what it looks like to respect or fear fire. What are the benefits of fire if it is used in the right way? What are the terrible things that could happen if it’s not respected or used in the wrong way? Now talk about the benefits to our lives when we show proper respect to God & His Word. What about when we don’t? Share with your kids some specific examples from your life of how fear of the Lord has blessed you.
- Read Psalm 119:9-11. Pray that God would guard your family by giving all of you a love for His Word and a desire to know Him and respect Him above all else!