This week JP challenged us to use whatever platform the Lord has given us to steward it for God’s glory by assigning responsibility, calling yourself and others to repentance, and reminding people of the reason for repentance.
Peter used his platform to assign RESPONSIBILITY.
1. Proverbs 27:21 says “a man is tested by his praise.” When people recognize the various ways God has gifted you, how do you respond? Do you take credit or do you use that platform as an opportunity to shine a spotlight on Christ?
2. As a group, brainstorm about some practical ways to respond when people recognize you, both to take responsibility for your own inability and give credit to the grace and love of God.
Peter used his platform to call people to REPENTANCE.
3. Repentance is not simply confession (Prov 28:13). Repentance is turning from sin and turning to Christ. Discuss as a group active steps you can take to continue to practice the ongoing need for confession, repentance and walking in the Spirit (Gal 5:16). This could include providing a safe environment for confession, removing triggers or access to things that tempt us to sin, and encouraging one another to cultivate intimacy with Christ.
Peter used his platform to REMIND people of the reason for repentance.
4. As the events of the recent weeks have shown, the world is hurting and looking for answers. In Peter’s first epistle he writes: “in your hearts revere Christ as Lord.Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect . . .” (1 Pet 3:15). Are you equipped and ready to give an answer for the hope you have to a world who is asking? What are some ways you can point the people the Lord has placed in your life to the hope you have in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus?
5. Spend some time praying for your group, our church, our country and our world.