This weekend, as we continued our series “Can You Relate?”, Todd taught us about the relationship we spend roughly twenty-five percent of our time with: work. How should you view your relationship with work? In short, when you hear work, you should think worship. Does that describe you?
- “God is a worker, and we are made in His image. When God wants to bless people, He typically sends them a worker. You have one job: be a people of light, do good works in His name, be His image bearer.” When you think of work, what comes to mind? How can you be God’s image bearer at work this week?
- “God created people with a job description. Your vocation—your calling—is to be salt and light wherever God has you. To bring glory to God by going to work. If you are a cobbler, make good shoes and sell them at a fair price.” How did you do at being salt and light the last seven days at work? What’s one way you can bring glory to God at your job this next week?
- “It is impossible to be so heavenly minded that you are no earthly good.” How much did you think about eternity this last week, and how much did it influence the way you worked? Pray that God would give you eternal insight for how you can be more faithful at work this next week.
- “The primary expression of the church’s gospel work is through what the gospel-informed church does at work. Go to work on Monday and make that place a better place to work. Go be the hands and feet of God.” Who in your place of work can you go “be the hands and feet of God” to this week? Pray for that person, and then establish a plan of how you will be more intentional with them.
- “Poverty exists because of sin infecting how we work. God blesses us to make us a blessing to others.” How can you be more of a blessing to others this next week? What’s one way—using either your time, talents, or treasure—to bring (more) blessing to your place of work in the next 24 hours?
- “Have a great week of worship is another way of saying work is worship. You have a passport to go to places and love people who won’t come and worship with us at Watermark.” How did you do at using your passport last week in your place of work? How can you be more “mission minded” this next week?
- Suggested Scripture study: Genesis 1:26-28, Psalm 37:3, Colossians 3:23, Matthew 5:14-17, 1 Peter 2:21, Proverbs 10:4, 13:23, 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15, Hebrews 6:10, Philippians 2:14-15
- The essay Why Work? by Dorothy Sayers – “Why Work?”
- Message by Todd Wagner - "And What to Do If You Hate Your Job"
- Porch message on work by JP – “A Revolutionary Perspective on Work”
- Bad advice as it relates to our work by John Cox – “Faith in Work”
- The Business of Faith: How to Lead Yourself, Unify Your Team and Create a Remarkable Organization by Matt Levy, Jeff Ward, and D. R. Jacobsen. (Available wherever books are sold.)
- what to doIf you don’t like your job”