A great adventure begins when we accept Jesus as our Savior, but it doesn’t always look like we expect it to look. We see from Luke 9:57-62 that when we follow Jesus, He changes our place, our people, and our priorities.
- Blake reminded us it’s one thing to proclaim loyalty to Christ, but entirely another thing to follow Him. Have you declared your intentions to follow Christ no matter what? Talk about specific circumstances in which you have found following through on your commitment to be difficult.
- Luke 9:58 helps us understand that following Christ means this world is not our home. As a Christ follower, do you ever feel like a stranger in a foreign land? If yes, in what ways?
- Can you think of a time you wanted to stand up or speak up for Jesus Christ and His ways, but didn’t? What can you do differently the next time you have an opportunity?
- Have you ever wrestled with passages like Luke 8:20-21, 9:59-60, and 14:26? How does Blake’s explanation of Jesus redefining family help you understand the meaning of these verses? Have you experienced pain in your blood family because of your decision to follow Christ? What role has the spiritual family of God played in your life?
- Read Luke 9:62. As you follow Jesus, do you ever look back wishing you could return to easier days? How does today’s message encourage you to continue looking ahead, following Jesus no matter what?
- As you consider the priorities of your life, are there any areas in your life you know need to be rearranged to prioritize time following Jesus Christ and loving his family? What will you do this week to take action in this area?