Benjamin Franklin is known for famously saying, “….but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes” and we could safely add to his quote, conflict.
Chances are you are either going through, or coming out of, conflict with a family member. While conflict is never fun, it can be a great opportunity for everyone involved to grow in their understanding of grace and truth. Below you will find some resources to help you handle conflict in a way that honors God and the person you are in conflict with.
8 Verses To Help You Handle Conflict Biblically
- James 4:1-3 – “What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you. You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.”
- Matthew 15:18-19 – “But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.”
- Matthew 7:5 – “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.”
- 1 Corinthians 10:31-11:1 – “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.”
- 1 John 1:8 – ” If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.”
- Proverbs 19:11 – “Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.”
- Romans 12:20 – “To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”
- Matthew 16:19 – “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
5 Sermons To Help You Handle Conflict Biblically
- Don’t Stop if You Get Stiffed: What to do When Conflict Gets Messier
- Stepping Up, Staying Strong, Speaking the Truth
- How to Get Seven “A”s When You Work Through Conflict
- Pseudo-Christianity: The Result of Dealing with Conflict without God in our corner
- Talking is Easy, Communication Is Not: Biblical communication and conflict for an uncommon marriage
A Free Conflict Field Guide
Below you will find our “Conflict Field Guide.” We hope this downloadable resource encourages and sharpens you. Each page of the field guide can be viewed below and the entire guide can be downloaded by clicking here.
Do you have a specific question about how to handle family conflict? Feel free to submit it to Real Truth. Real Quick. and your question may be answered on an upcoming episode.
The post What Does The Bible Say About Getting Along With Family? appeared first on Watermark Community Church Blog.