We hope and pray that your family is still plugging along on The Journey and are enjoying growing in your knowledge of God and His Word! Don’t be discouraged if you’re behind! Keep going or just pick up where we are today.
All through the year, we’ll be providing you with simple family discussion guides and activities to help you lead your family through God’s Word from start to finish (here’s a glimpse at the vision behind the Family Journey). We hope you took advantage of the guide for “What’s in the Bible?” Vol. 1 where we got an introduction to the Bible & started to walk through Genesis. Now it’s time to finish off Genesis and take a look at the book of Exodus!
Family Guide for Volume 2, Episode 1: Who Chose the Books of the Bible?
- Give your family this quiz before watching the video together. See how many questions your kids can get right and then take it again afterwards.
- What does the word “canon” mean? (it means “standard or rule” and is the word used to describe the official list of books that were accepted as God’s inspired Word . . . books that were up to the standard)
- What does the word “salvation” mean? (to be saved or rescued from danger) What does the word “redemption” mean? (having a debt paid so you can be free)
- What do we need to be saved or redeemed from? (from sin and what it does to us)
- What is sin and what are the consequences? (sin is choosing our own way over God’s way and the consequences of sin is death)
- What is faith? (believing God is who He says He is and that He will do what He says He will do)
- What were the three promises God made to Abraham? (1. He would be the father of a great nation, 2. All the families of the earth would be blessed through him, and 3. God would give him the land of Canaan or the Promised Land)
- Read Romans 6:23 together. What is the good news that we learned about in the video and this verse tells us? (that God has a rescue plan to save us from our sin)
- PRAY: Thank God for providing us with the good news of His rescue plan for us. Ask God to help your family grow in your trust for God so that you believe He is who He says He is and that He will do what He says He will do.
Family Guide for Volume 2, Episode 2: What is Salvation?
- What does the word “Exodus” mean? (it means to leave or to exit from something) What is the book of Exodus about? Who is leaving, what are they leaving and why are they leaving? (It’s about the people of Israel leaving Exodus so they would no longer be slaves)
- God saved the people of Israel from slavery in Egypt. What did we learn are the 3 things God wants to save us from? (the stain of sin, the power of sin, and the presence of sin) Read Isaiah 1:18 (stain of sin), Romans 8:1-2 (power of sin), & Revelation 21:4 (presence of sin) and talk about what these verses mean.
- How did God tell the Israelites they could be saved when he sent the 10th plague in Egypt? (by killing a lamb and putting its blood over the door of their house) What did God remind the people of with the blood of the lamb? (that sin brings death and that the lamb died so they wouldn’t have to) Does this remind you of any other stories in the Bible? (the ram being killed instead of Isaac in Genesis; Jesus dying for our sin on the cross)
- God gave Moses and the Israelites 10 Commandments. Do you remember what the first commandment is? (Have no other gods but Me) How did the people of Israel do at keeping this commandment? (not good, they made a baby cow out of gold and said it was their god)
- What are some of the things that our family might be tempted to think of as more important than God?
- FAMILY ACTIVITY: Print out some copies of this Ten Commandment Quiz and have your kids take it. After everyone finishes, read Exodus 20:1-17 and talk about what these commandments mean. Why would God give us these rules? (because God loves us and wants the best for us)
- PRAY: Thank God for the way He provided Jesus to save us from our sins and for providing His Word and commandments to guide us to what is best (Psalm 119:105). Ask God to help you and your kids understand more about His love for you and that He would give you the strength to follow Him all the days of your lives.
You can find even more activities on the What’s in the Bible? website or come up with your own ideas. We’d love to hear from you what you learn!