1. John opened by sharing a couple of items on his “bucket list.” What’s on your “bucket list”?
2. The Bible compares living the Christian life with running a race. (See 1 Corinthians 9:24-27). What “race” are you running? What is the prize you are chasing? Do your priorities align with God’s? How do you know?
3. If you had to grade yourself, how well are you running the “race”? What is your training plan to grow in godliness (cf 1 Timothy 4:7-8)? Are you on the “try harder” plan? Why is the “try harder” plan not a good one to follow? What should you stop doing to become more like Christ?
4. Read Paul’s final words to Timothy in 2 Timothy 4:1-10. What strikes you about Paul’s instructions? What are his keys to finishing well? What are the potential obstacles that might trip you up? (Consider temptations, persecution and unmet expectations).
5. John emphasized the importance of investing in people. Is there anyone in your life that is closer to Jesus as a result of your influence? Who can you begin to invest in this fall? How can you help them take the next step in becoming more like Christ?