The first believers prayed for boldness to preach the resurrection of Jesus Christ and received abundant grace not only to speak amidst persecution, but to selflessly love others in ways not natural to man. In Acts 4:32-35, we see the Church operating according to its intended purpose, which has not changed.
- Todd said one of the greatest ongoing miracles we can see in the life of the church today is the supernatural gift of love and unity among believers because it points to the great work of Jesus Christ. Why is selfless love and unity among the body such a great miracle?
- Give an example of where you saw God’s love live through His people this week. Read 1 John 4:12 together and pray together that people “would see God” this week in your life and love for each other.
- When was the last time someone asked you “where does this come from?” (like Matt Lauer asked Abby D’Agostino) because they saw an unusual act of love, amount of peace or display of hope in your life? Read 1 Peter 3:15 and pray for grace to enable you to live your life with such faith that the world demands an explanation.
- In order for the Church to function like we see in Acts, there have to be people willing to give and willing to receive. Which is harder for you, giving or receiving? Why?
- Todd shared the Navy Seal motto of “two is one, and one is none.” He also said “if you’re at Watermark alone, you’re not a regular attender, you’re an irregular believer.” Do you agree with these statements? Why or why not? What bible passages support your thoughts?
- Do you feel like you really know the true needs of your community group members? Do you think your group would be willing to meet your needs if they really knew them? Discuss and agree as a group how you can help each other seek the abundant grace needed for more selfless giving and humble receiving.
Check out the blog post, "Meeting Financial Needs In And Through The Church" for resources to help believers as they seek to meet the financial needs of others.